Monday, April 26, 2010

Private landowner has tent city in the backyard

Indiana- A private landowner in a suburban subdivision allows tents to be set up for homeless in the backyard. This is an interesting example of what a private landowner could do as far as tents and the homeless. The landowner has tent space for about eight to ten people per night. However, the neighbors are not very happy about the situation because of what they see as declining property values. The local government is a bit chagrined because apparently there are no laws being broken.

The mayor said “[i]s this a homeless shelter, or simply someone using his private land as a place for his friends to stay? We have to weigh [the landowner’s] rights with the rights of his neighbors, who have made it clear they are not happy. In my personal and professional opinion it seems clear that you don’t allow someone’s backyard to become a homeless shelter, but that opinion is not one that’s based in the law. I think this is Hal’s way of provoking action.”

Check out the entire article here:
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2010/04/23/news.qp-4784548.sto

1 comment:

  1. I had actually thought about doing this here. I own a small house on a small lot, my back yard could fit maybe 5 small tents. After I thought about it more I thought I'd feel bad that I was living in a house and people are living in my yard in tents. Or what if someone gets hurt and now I'm responsible because I own the land? I don't know. But I see a lot more homeless here in the last year. They are living down by the lake and other places around town, not as many as big cities, but still a lot. I don't have a lot of money myself I wish I could help more. I think we need a place for people to go, like the old institutions that my grandma told me about. What happened to those? There needs to be a place for people. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

    ReplyDelete

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner